Monday, February 15, 2010

WISE COUNSEL FROM MY MENTOR

Claire & Alan - What a great couple!!

Wow, I am so blessed to have such a godly, wise mentor. God brought Claire and I together last fall and we have been meeting once a week ever since...I have learned so much from her. It is truly amazing to watch God move and work in our time together. I am in awe almost every week of how God is teaching us almost the same lessons. This past Sunday I told her about what God was teaching me with SURRENDERING to Him and she started laughing and said that God was teaching her about the same thing.

It's amazing how much I like to be in control...for me it is a control that stems from not wanting to be hurt or let down, so I try to control to protect myself. It never really works out though. I end up getting hurt anyway and it's a very lonely way to live. Because the fear of being hurt, leads to controlling behaviors, which leads to guarding myself and blocking others out...so no one really knows the REAL Charrie...only the protected one that I allow them to see. God has been teaching me about vulnerability and nakedness before Him. And He's also been showing me through His word, just how much He loves me and that He is my protector, my shield, my refuge, the one who surrounds me behind and before. I do not have to live in the fear of being hurt by others. I am to fear the Lord and trust Him to protect, guard, shield, and surround me.

There is so much I could write about that God is teaching me...but the main reason for this post was to share three verses God brought to Claire's mind as I was sharing with her about what I was learning about SURRENDERING.

Isaiah 55:8-9
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

This verse speaks about God's character and the fact that He is all knowing and He knows the big picture of my life and thankfully His thoughts are different than mine. The things that I think are good for me may not be...His thoughts and ways are so much higher than mine and I can trust that, which leads to the next verse God gave to Claire for me...

Romans 8:28
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose."

So, not only does God know all things and His thoughts and ways are higher and greater than mine, He is also working ALL things for my good!! WOW!! He has my best in mind! What an awesome God! Because God knows all things, and has my best in mind in all situations, even in the midst of pain and struggles and hard times, He is working and knows what is best for me and what I need....so I can trust the following verse as well...

James 1:1-5
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverence. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."


There is hope, there is joy, even in the midst of pain and trials "because you know" that God is at work. He's developing something beautiful in us! Building our character and life to reflect his glory. Think on this concept for a minute... "the testing of our faith developes perseverance". I love the part that says, "perseverance MUST finish it's work..."so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking ANYTHING". Wow! If we allow God to work in these situations we can be MATURE and COMPLETE, NOT LACKING ANYTHING and there can be joy even in the pain! I love that...that I can trust the heart of my Father with ALL of me - every part!!!

Praise the Lord for His unending love for us! And for bringing people into our lives to encourage, challenge, and refresh our faith!!


3 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord for his goodness in forever faithfully teaching us these lessons. Over and Over and Over.:) He is so patient. Can't wait to tell you what I learned at youth retreat this week end...god is at work!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, sister! So glad to see you're trying the blog thing again :) Ya know, for us non-facebookers :)

    You were a great inspiration to me in speaking of your relationship with your mentor, and it will be nice to see what you are learning about! My mentor and I should be starting to meet over the next two weeks and I am so looking forward to growing through that relationship.

    Love you! Your other sis Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie, that's great that you get to start meeting!!! You will have to keep me updated on what you are learning and how God is growing you...but physically :) and spiritually!! Been praying for you and Tyler on this journey of trusting Him with your new little life!! Love you, sister!

    ReplyDelete