Our First Midwife Appointment
What a wonderful day today was! We got to see our baby's first picture...what an amazing masterpiece God created with the development of a child, every intricate detail. The most incredible thing I keep thinking about, you can see the face, you can see the arms and the hands, the body, and a blur of legs and feet...the picture you are looking at is almost actual size. Our little baby is only an inch to an inch and a quarter long, and it's hole little body is mostly in tact. When I stare at this little baby, our little baby, I am in complete awe of my Creator! Wow! I am speechless...and to realize there are so many people who have been through pregnancy and delivery or who are doctors who stare at this all day and do not believe that there is a God, a Creator....Lord, open the eyes of the individuals in our lives that do not have a relationship with you. May the AWE and WONDER we experience as this pregnancy progresses draw others to you!
| Baby Denton 9-17-10 10 weeks and the size of a kumkwat! |
We met with Mrs. Colleen Zelonis, CNM, for about 2 hours. She was very thorough and very personal, and really answered alot of our questions before we even asked them. After we talked for about an hour just going over the basics of information we needed and got to ask a few questions we had on our minds, she tried to listen for the babies heartbeat. Thanks to my sister-in-law, Connie, I was a little more prepared for the possibility that we may NOT get to hear the heartbeat at this appointment. Before she started searching for the heartbeat, she made me promise I wouldn't be upset if she couldn't find it. She said it was still pretty early and the baby was so small and most likely tucked behind my pubic bone, that she may not be able to find it. So, she searched...and searched...and searched some more but was unable to find it. To say the least, both Matt and I were disappointed. We were really looking forward to hearing it, just a confirmation that I truly was pregnant. :) So, after that she did the actual exam and thought that maybe I wasn't as far along as I thought, that my uterus did not feel the size of 10 weeks. At that point she suggested the option of doing an internal ultrasound to see the actual size of the baby, and have a more accurate due date. My initial hesitation was that the doctor was male! I've never had a male doctor for any of "these kinds" of appointments...but both Matt and I really wanted to hear or see the confirmation of the pregnancy, so we went ahead with the ultrasound. Am I glad we chose to have that done...what a joy to see that there was a baby inside...and ONLY ONE!!! Praise the Lord! I obviously would have gotten used to the idea and would have loved two babies, but for the first pregnancy and delivery...I was really hoping for just one. :)
![]() |
| My Nurse Midwife - Colleen Zelonis (middle front) |
"The birth center is designed in the wellness model and guided by principles of prevention, sensitivity, safety, and low intervention. We empower the family to take an active role in the birth process. The use of routine IV’s, pitocin and epidural anesthesia are not available in the birth center. Instead we encourage the use of aromatherapy, hydrotherapy, music therapy, and massage therapy. The freedom to move in labor, eat and drink in labor, and having the support of our staff will allow your labor to unfold naturally. After the birth our goal is to keep Mother and baby together. Skin to skin contact is encouraged along with breastfeeding. The use of pacifiers or supplements are only done with parental consents. Your stay may be from 6-24 hours. If you require a stay greater than 24 hours you are moved to a traditional birthing suite."
The office sent me home with lots of goodies. They showered me with all kinds of magazines, informational packets, brochures, and prenatal vitamin samples!!
Matthew and I are so excited! Being able to see our baby for the first time was a phenomenal experience and really helped solidify everything, making it "REAL" for both of us! I have been feeling so good, other than the tiredness, oily skin, breast tenderness, and frequent urination and hunger pains, that I was beginning to wonder if there was really a baby growing inside of me! I still do not have any nausea and I am so thankful for that! Thanks again for all your prayers...they are so coveted!

I love the, " i have been feeling so good, except for:" sentence. I giggled.:) I love this and am so excited to meet this little person!!!! Thanks for the update!:)
ReplyDeleteWhen I was feeding Emma first thing Friday morning at 3ish, I thought there was a chance you could have had an early AM appt - so we began to pray for you guys then. So glad that all is well! Loved the text pic of the sonogram as well - THANK YOU!! ...Tyler continued to say, 'How can anyone believe in anything other than creation...' after each appointment, and each week's 'baby email' as we learned what was developing and going on. God is so amazing in all the intricate details he created for each thing.
ReplyDeleteWe're so excited to hear and see updates each week! Love you guys ;)
Hey, my comment didn't stick.
ReplyDeleteI was also laughing about all the little things that are different after your comment about feeling good. :) funny. The baby is so sweet. :) and we are praying. Have a great Week Charrie Dawn and baby. Matt too. :)
What a sweet post. I dont get on here very often, but now a days I come to see your posts, both Connies, Amber Grover and Kerri Mensonides!! I can't wait to see precious kumkwat grow!!! Your hospital looks amazing! Hope you get lots of rest and continue to feel gREAt....minus a few things!! ;) Love you girl.
ReplyDelete